jeudi 31 octobre 2013

Entry #5

                         Cultural observations

    -  A lot of cultural objects are displayed in the host organization. Firstly, inside all the classrooms, there are some posters with children's names on them.

 -   Others posters were stuck up on the opposite wall where the children's bithdays were written down.

- The letters of the alphabets were spread  out on the walls and ladybirds represented the group name.


 

                                     The reading

The majority of the educators that I've interviewed read newspapers , during the internship ( when they have time). '' The Gazette''  '' Metro'' and ''24h''  were the most populars for the variety of information inside them.



                         The celebration of different holidays

    The majority of the educators that I've interviewed said to me that they don't celebrate the different holidays. I must say that all of the educators have different origins , so it can influenced the fact that they don't celebrate. I asked them about Christmas celebration and they all said that it was their favourite celebration.



                           The Christmas preparation

        I asked three educators about how they prepared for the Christmas holiday. The first , Lailing Codjoe is half Jamaican and half African. She told me that on  december 25 she is with her family. All together , they eat turkey , ham , rice and salad. , for this special supper. After that , they read the bible and opened their gifts. Lailing said that in her childhood , she was raised in a Christian home , but she is Prostestant but she doesn't goes at the Church .



The second educator was Nelly Paultre a Haitian. She said that the Christmas holiday is really sacred  for her. She is going to Christmas mass with all her family and after , together , they eat  turkey , ham , rice and salad. Afer that , they  sing some songs and opened gifts , at the end. She said that she was practicing Christian so she goes to the mass.



                                  Cultural observation


The other cultures I have been exposed  are the Spanish , Asian and Indian children. They were all really interesting. I've learned that some of these children didn't have enough motivation for talking in English or in French , so they just didn't opened their mouth when I asked them a question.


                    The type of English I have been exposed to:


I've been exposed to different expressions during my internship. The first one was '' Every dog has it's day''. This expression means that each man can have a bad period and after it disappears  and everything turns right.
For example: When a child cries after the educator talk to him and after everything goes well.

The other expression that I've been exposed was '' Beggers can't be a chooser''. When a child asks Lailing for a privilege  , but it's not quite what he wanted , after she sees it , she can't ask for another one.


I read a lot of books in front of the class. They were books about Thanksgiving  and Halloween. It was interesting , because  I learned new words at the same time.
 
On the other hand , I had the opportunity to use my idiom '' It's all Greek to me'' , but nobody understood me , unfortunately.


                                    Rewards and challenges:
The most difficult aspect for me was trying interacted with other children who didn't understand me.

But the best part was being with children and talking with them to enrich myself. Interacting and learning  about new cultures  was  totally fabulous.



Byebye ,


See you soon for new experiences!



 

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire